November 15, 2014

Wilkes Football - Colonels Late Comeback Falls Short in 27-21 Loss Against King’s

Image: John Green
EDWARDSVILLE – Patrick Robinson rushed for 137 yards on 15 carries and one touchdown to lead visiting King’s College over Wilkes University 27-21 in both teams’ Middle Atlantic Conference finale and the 19th annual Mayor’s Cup game at Schmidt Stadium Saturday afternoon.

Wilkes concludes its season at 2-8 overall finishing 2-7 in MAC play. King’s finished its season at 4-6 overall and 4-5 in league contests. The win also marked the second straight King’s victory in the annual cross-town rivalry game.

King’s opened the scoring with a 36-yard field goal at the 8:58 mark of the first quarter. The Monarchs added to their advantage midway through the second quarter when Kyle McGrath ran in from one yard out as King’s led 10-0 following an extra point.

Wilkes entered the scoring column on the Colonels next drive using a five-play, 62-yard drive capped off by PJ Incremona’s three-yard touchdown run to cut the King’s lead to 10-7 following a Bryan Mellon extra point. The drive was setup by a big 51-yard completion from Ryan Dailey to Jonathan Conklin down the right sideline.

King’s answered right back stealing momentum when Tyler Hartranft connected with wide receiver Dan Kempa down the left sideline for a 36-yard touchdown pitch-and-catch giving the Monarchs a 17-7 lead heading into the break.

King’s added another score late in the third quarter when Robinson scored his lone touchdown of the day, a 15-yard run through the left side to open the King’s lead to 24-7 with 1:30 on the clock.

From there, Tim Bousson grabbed a 48-yard touchdown ball thrown from Dailey to quickly bring the Colonels back into striking distance down 24-14 with :49 left in the third stanza.

King’s first drive of the fourth quarter stalled at the Wilkes 10, but another Monarch field goal (27-yard attempt) was true upping the Monarch lead to 27-14 with 11:03 left in the game.

The teams traded possessions over the next six minutes before Dailey hit William Deemer on a 14-yard touchdown pass. Deemer went up over a King’s defender to haul in the scoring pass as Wilkes trailed 27-21 with :22 left in regulation.

Wilkes’ try on the ensuing onside kick was recovered by a King’s player and the Monarchs iced the last twenty seconds of play as Wilkes was unable to stop the clock with only one timeout left.

Dailey finished 22-for-46 for 246 yards and two scores. He finished the year with 2,179 yards and 13 scores, the most yards passing and touchdowns since 2005. Bousson, who was named the Wilkes team most valuable player, finished with seven catches for a career-high 125 yards and one score. Deemer added eight receptions for 63 yards and one touchdown.

Hartranft led King’s throwing for 158 yards on 12-for-27 passing and one score. Robinson, the Monarchs team MVP, also collected two receptions for 30 yards to go along with his game-high 137 yards on the ground.

Tanner Stengel led the Wilkes defense with a game-high 13 tackles, two sacks and 3.5 tackles-for-loss. With the 13 tackles, Stengel went over the 100-tackle mark finishing the year with 102 stops, the most since Tate Moore-Jacobs in 2012.

Bobby Russell topped the King’s defense with 13 tackles.

Wilkes returns to the field in 2015 for its 70th year in program history.