November 8, 2014

Wilkes Football - Colonels upended at Stevenson 33-14

File Photo: John Green
OWINGS MILLS, MD – Leading 10-0 early in the third quarter host Stevenson University scored 23 points in the final frame to post a 33-14 win over visiting Wilkes University Saturday afternoon in Middle Atlantic Conference play at Mustang Stadium.

With the defeat Wilkes drops to 2-7 overall and 2-6 in MAC games while Stevenson improves to 6-3 overall and 5-3 in league contests.

Neither team had much success moving the ball in the first half as the Mustangs settled for a Tim Sternfeld 37-yard field goal with 6:34 left in the first quarter to take a 3-0 lead into the halftime break. The Wilkes offense struggled to get any type of momentum in the first half punting six times and turning the ball over three more times in the first two stanzas.

Stevenson opened the third quarter with a big play on offense when quarterback Jeff Farrah hit Anthony Reid for a 60-yard touchdown pass to put the Mustangs up 10-0 following an extra point from Sternfeld with 13:32 on the clock. Following another punt and turnover on downs, Wilkes began a promising drive moving the ball down inside the Stevenson 20. Colonel quarterback Ryan Dailey got back on track during the drive connecting with Tim Bousson three times with the longest pitch-and-catch coming of 22 yards down to the Mustang 30. The drive would stall following three incomplete attempts and Wilkes sent out Bryan Mellon to try a 32-yard field goal. Mellon’s kick sailed wide right and Stevenson would take over on the miss.

On the ensuing drive, Farrah hit Reid for the second time for a touchdown, this time a 43-yard strike to put the Mustangs up 17-0 with 14:35 left in the fourth quarter.

Wilkes responded on its next possession using a nine play, 51-yard drive capped off by a PJ Incremona one-yard touchdown run to cut the lead to 17-6 with 11:50 left in the game. The Colonel defense forced a Mustangs punt and five minutes later Dailey hit tight end Jeremy Hartman for a 48-yard touchdown pass capping off a six play, 61-yard drive and cutting the Stevenson advantage to 17-14 following a Jonathan Conklin two-point conversion rush.

Stevenson used a big kickoff return (59 yard return by Devonte Williams) following the Wilkes score to setup the Mustangs offense at the Wilkes 9. Two plays later Farrah ran in from eight yards out to push the lead back to 24-14 with 5:39 left on the clock.

Wilkes turned the ball over on downs following three incomplete Dailey passes and Stevenson received great field position at the Wilkes 28 following the loss of possession. The Mustangs went into the end zone from the ground one more time, a Brian Matthews 25-yard scoring run, to extend the lead to 31-14 with just over three minutes remaining in the game.

Stevenson added a safety late in the fourth quarter to seal the 33-14 MAC home victory.

Dailey finished 25-of-44 for 214 yards and one score in the loss under center for Wilkes. Hartman and Bousson led the Colonel receivers each catching seven balls. Hartman finished with 78 yards receiving and one score while Bousson added 74 yards through the air. Incremona led the Wilkes ground game with 49 yards on 18 carries.

Tanner Stengel, the MAC’s top tackler, finished with a game-high 12 stops for Wilkes. Omar Richardson added six tackles and recorded his third interception of the year from the Colonel secondary.

Wilkes concludes its 2014 campaign next Saturday hosting cross-town rival King’s College in the 19th annual Mayor’s Cup game at Schmidt Stadium. The game will be televised locally by Fox 56 with a 12:06 p.m. kick-off.